Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Saul Leiter at Knoedler & Company

I often find that when a work of art strikes me, it strikes me hard. I felt the same way when I first saw those of Joan Mitchell, Francesca Woodman, and Milton Resnick. The images linger after walking away and nuzzle up inside of me against that part of my brain that feels awe at such magnificence.

I forgot to mention this earlier but I felt this way the other day. I went to Knoedler Project Space with my fellow Visual Arts Administrators and I was blown away by Saul Leiter's work there. I have been trying to work small as of late, in little notebooks with vellum and watercolors. He does it so effortlessly and with such brilliance; I left feeling rigorously inspired and yet so inept.

The works seem to breathe iridescent colors, spellbinding in their suggestive weight. "Flower" in particular struck me:


I find myself using the same palette now, copy-cat (I know), but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.


RP

No comments:

Post a Comment